[VAC] Re: By way of introduction....

Tim:
The consensus on this list seems to feel that the Explorer is a little light
for the job.

I have Globe Trotters, one is a 1963 that weighs 3380 and I have a 1971 that
weighs 4000..  I know this because I weighed them. This was the weight they
were when they were about ready to roll ...that is, with food, propane, pots
and pans, etc.. My water tanks were empty.  The 1963 has a Reese Dual Cam
Equalizer hitch. This trailer has fantastic tow manners.  The 1971 has a
regular Equalizer hitch and tows well, but feels heavier than the 1963 does
(more of a difference than the actual weight difference suggests). I have
towed both of these trailers with a 1968 Dodge with the small 318 V-8.  This
was not recommended by Dodge in 1968; they recommended a larger engine.  I
have found, however, that this car works very well with either of my
Airstreams except in the mountains where the 318 is a little weak. (my 440
powered Chrysler has no problem)
   People will tell you that you need a larger tow vehicle.  They are
correct that the larger the tow vehicle, the better. My feeling about this
is that with these small trailers like the Caravel, Bambi, Globe Trotter,
etc. a lesser tow vehicle will work. These Airstreams tow easier than SOB
trailers that are a fraction of the weight. I can tell you that I could feel
my Dad's 1100 pound, 11 foot Shasta trailer on the back of a 440 powered
Chrysler wagon more than I feel my 4000 pound 21 foot Globe Trotter on the
same car. I get better gas mileage than my Dad also.   The Shasta has all
the aerodynamics of a brick.. An Airstream is like a ....well, an Airstream!
     Though I haven't tried towing with a Ford Explorer, I'd like to try a
modern tow vehicle like it. (My old stuff isn't going to last forever :-(  .
Your engine is only a little smaller than my 318. Your tow rating is much
higher than my Dodge has. It would probably work fine if you are  willing to
work with it's limitations (slow acceleration,  slow climbing in the
mountains,  a little back heavy in a quick turn).   As for the Globe
Trotter, we have 5 kids and have used a Globe Trotter for many years
....they call us "sardines" sometimes.  I wouldn't want a larger trailer.
We wouldn't trade our 1971 Globe Trotter on anything else.

There you have it ....one man's opinion.......