[VAC] Re: Towing with a U-haul

Jerry,
We have done exactly what you are talking about and I can say with some
degree of certainty that it is NOT something I would recommend. The first
problem is the trailer ball... U-Haul uses a 2' ball which is welded on. We
had to sneak the truck off to a welding shop and have the ball cut off then
a new 2 5/16' ball welded on. Second problem, no brakes.. no controller.
Lights were done using a portable set of magnetic mount towing lights, after
adding wire extensions to reach the back. Third problem, The coupler on the
airstream is too big for the bumper hitch on the U-Haul so we had to grind a
little off of it just to get the trailer to connect. After all of that we
took off and had to drive REAL slow and careful because the 31' trailer
wanted to sway and take control of the monster rig all the time. And this
was with using their 26' truck with a very light load. The last problem is
with U-Haul itself. They won't allow it..... So if you get in a bind or an
accident you are in deep kimshi!
In conclusion, let me say that I would prefer massive dental work done by a
gorilla to trying this silly stunt again.
I hope this will get you to look in a different direction....
Stan and Donna Mayhew
Lakeland, Fl