[VAC] Re: Pump replacement

Christian-

I recently went through this decision. For me, it was the electrical contacts on the pump which went bad. There are replacement parts available for the PAR (Peters and Russell). A recent post addressed this. Check out this link:

http://www.metrorv.com/store/group.cfm?SubCategoryID=171

Now as far as quiet and effective. SureFlo makes a new style pump which is popular. I recently purchased. The pump itself is quieter running than the PAR--but, vibrates at a much higher RPM--and this can echo through other structures and actually create more noise. I had to mount it with special attention to vibration dampening to quiet mine up. Phred-Sez from the Blue Beret recommends purchasing the Whisper King version of the Sure-Flo. It costs more, but is apparently quieter. Both pump effectively. I feel the SureFlo pulses more than the old PAR. The Sure-Flo uses fewer amps starting.

Noise reduction: Mount on a 0.5 - 0.75" board. Use the clear vinyl water hose for 12" on the intake/outlet side. Make sure not to tighten the screws on the rubber feet too tightly to the board. And make sure that lines don't contact anything which would amplify vibration. I have a pic of the installation in my '72 Sovereign if it would help you, let me know.

The jury's still out on which one I like more. Time will tell.

-Dallas