[VAC] Re: Looking for information-Airstream wannabe

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Royal Order of the Tinsel Tubesteak.  If you list the serial
number here, there are several members who can interpret it for you.  Check the
archives on Tom Patterson's web site or RJ and Christa Dial's site, they can
probably point you in the right direction.  Our resident experts may well be on
the way to international right now, but if it dates to the seventies, I could
possibly translate it myself.

http://www.tompatterson.com/
http://www.vintageairstream.com/

>  I'm 2 days into this list and thought that I would ask for some info.
>   I have found an Airstream - Sovereign International Land Yacht - that I am
> considering buying.

The Sov of that era should be 31' tongue to tailfeathers, and is a nice size
rig.  At least for me.
;^)>

>   There is a blue stripe all around at the top of the window line and then
> the roof is painted white - is this original or has somebody done this to
> make it 'look better'?

The white roofs date back to some of the caravans that Wally Byam led in the 50s
and 60s.  It was an attempt to reflect more heat than a less than shiny natural
roof would.  I'm not sure if it was ever a factory option, but it's apparently
not uncommon as an after market fix for peeling clearcoat.

>   When did they fit electric brakes - it has a tandem axle and looks to have
> brake drums fitted.

IIRC electric brakes date back to the 50's.  Vacuum assisted disk brakes were an
option in the mid 70's, but never caught on.  Almost impossible to get serviced
today.  Pity.

>   Probably made in the late sixties/early seventies - I have the serial
> number and will call A/S tomorrow to find the exact year of manufacture.

You might check on the front of the coach, to the street side of the tongue,
there should be a federally mandated manufacturer's tag with date, GVWR, and
GAWR data, unless it's older than that law.  My '75 has it and I think my wife's
girlfriend's '73 also has one.

>   A couple of the windows are cracked and will need replacing and all of the
> rubber seals are shot - any good sources for these? The refrigerator is
> missing, but the rest of the stuff is there - don't know if any of it works.

Figure about 12-1500 bucks for a new fridge, for planning purposes.  Also check
size, some of the older ones were shallower and new ones might not fit.  RJ
Dial's site has information on window stuff.

>   I will probably have to replace the 4 tires as the trailer has not been on
> the road since 1996.

I don't doubt that you will need new rubber, most RV tires are only good for
about 5-7 years of service.  That's why ST (special trailer) tires are
indicated.  They stand up to the "stand around most of the time / hit the road
at highway speeds once in a while" service most trailers see.  The last 3 digits
of the "DOT" code molded in the sidewall indicate the week and last digit of the
year the tires were fabricated.  (e.g.. wwy)

>   I have been on the lookout for an Airstream trailer for a couple of years
> and have decided to finally take the plunge, although the above mentioned
> Sovereign is going to require quite a bit of work to bring it up to scratch.
>   Thanks in advance for any info.

Where are you located, perhaps there is an Airstream dealer nearby.  You'd be
surprised to find what parts are still available.