[VAC] Re: Vintage Puller

Bob,

I agree with earlier comments regarding changing your rear end ratio.  It would not be worth the cost and those old trucks were equipped with 4.10:1 gears to give them adequate power to tow.  You could probably realize a small increase in fuel mileage while not towing if you changed all the way to a ratio around 3:1 but then towing performance would suffer.  Newer trucks with overdrive transmissions can make the compromise better because many of them enjoy the pulling power of gears in the 4:1 range for starting the load rolling but then overdrive reduces the final drive ratio by 25% to 30%.  In other words, multiply 4.10 by .70 (30% overdrive) and you have a final drive ratio of 2.87:1.

Dual exhaust systems will improve high rpm horsepower, but in some cases, will reduce low speed torque.  Most stock engines have adequate exhaust flow at low engine speeds, it is only at high rpm when flow is restricted by the old single exhaust with a restrictive factory (quiet) muffler.  Most towing is done at lower engine speed where torque, not horsepower is important.

Installation of a dual exhaust system will have no effect on engine braking.  Engine braking in a gasoline engine results from the retarding effect of compression on the compression stroke and a similar retarding effect of restricting intake of air on the intake stroke.

Dumping exhaust tail pipes in front of the rear wheels will cause no problems, that method was once pretty common.  It will possibly increase the noise heard by the driver in the cab.

I hate to rain on your enthusiasm but if you can find old back issues of Trailer Life or some of the other RV industry magazines of the '60s and review the test reports, I think you'll find that the carbureted gas engines of the day typically returned around 10 mpg empty and 6 or 8 mpg towing.  Sometimes worse depending on weight and frontal area.  Fuel mileage of that period led Detroit and Dearborn to develop and install fuel injections systems.

However, your original '66 Ford F250 Camper Special and original Airstream Safari are going to make a great looking and perfectly satisfactory rig.  Unless you are going to tow 50k miles per year, a few mpg is not really going to be very important in the overall scheme of things.  Just enjoy it and watch the heads turn and the "thumbs up" flash as you pass.  You'll have to answer a dozen questions every time you stop.  I'm looking forward to seeing the photos when you post them.

Harvey