[VAC] Re: Clearcoat VS Polish...Discuss

I'd love to have my old '63 polished like a mirror, but I'm afraid it's going to be a lot of work. About 80 percent of my clearcoat is gone and the oxidation is pretty heavy in places. It looks like an OLD trailer. If I polish it, it'll probably be cooler inside when parked in the sun, and I'd love the look of it ....like a shiny new car.  I'd say that polishing it would INCREASE the value of an Airstream.

On the other hand, scratches and dents and patina give a trailer character. My '71 has dents that all have a history. The clearcoat is starting to break down on it too, but it's not so bad I can't live with it. I think it looks fine, scratches and all.

I guess it all depends on what you like.  And what you perceive your trailer looks like.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html