[VAC] Re: Trucks in Motion-heavy haulers

Randy,

Thanks for that essay on new turbo diesel trucks.  Very informed and
informative, factual, fair, and well written.  Subjective of course, but
there was no other way.  You clearly tested with an open mind.

I would pay admission to be allowed to participate is such a testing
experience as I am slowly talking myself into a new turbo diesel puller
myself.

We'll probably start a big brand loyalty squabble among fellow list members
with our opinions but, interestingly, your impressions were very close to my
own recent test driving at various dealerships.  I have been a loyal Ford
truck owner for years and fully expected to only drive a Dodge for
comparison.  (I am comparing six speed close-ratio manual transmissions, not
automatics.)  I drove a Dodge-Cummins several years ago, maybe '93.  The
truck I tested then was an automatic and it was the earlier, 12 valve
engine.  Every bit as strong, reliable, torquey, etc. as the new 24 valve
engines but the 12 valve had a narrow operating range, a very low rpm
governor, and the shifts were forced early then the engine would accelerate
slowly until near the top of the range, accelerate briskly only momentarily,
then shift and lug again.  I know it was a good truck and engine that would
pull the load, but I didn't enjoy driving it.  The 24 valve has an extended
engine operating range.  It will now spin happily to 3200 rpm before the
governor steps in.  To my surprise, I love the Dodge-Cummins HO with 6
speed.  The Ford with 6 speed is rated at 275 hp and 520 ft. pounds of
torque, and the difference is very apparent, as you observed.  The Ford will
easily out accelerate the Dodge by a wide margin.  I don't know about towing
torque because I was test driving the dealers' new trucks without a load.  I
also drove a Chevy Duramax-Allison and agree with you.  It was quieter and
felt refined.  But it didn't impress me with acceleration or apparent
pulling power.  And, the bottom line for me, I can buy a Dodge or Ford
deeply discounted whereas the Chevy dealers, at least initially, appear
awfully proud of their MSRP stickers.  My dilemma now is to choose between
the Ford PSD and Dodge-Cummins.  Fords, for me, are tried and proven, but
the Dodge-Cummins provides a little better fuel economy and is sure a fine
machine.  If I was towing a 13k pound 5th wheel or horse trailer as you
will, I would probably go with the Ford, but for a mere Airstream, I'm sure
tempted to overrule my loyalty and buy a Dodge-Cummins.

Additionally, I was impressed with the dually trucks as you were.  I
expected them to jar my teeth out and lurch over the slightest impressions
in the pavement and to my surprise, the duallys, particularly the Dodge,
were much smoother and much more refined than I expected.  My wife hates the
look of duallys and I may forget about the width and knock an expensive
fiberglass fender off, but I'm tempted to buy one for the stability and
hauling margin they provide.  Maybe I just like the big bold macho look.

Again, thanks for the essay.  Good information.

Harvey