[VAC] Re: Un oh...key emergency

Lincoln,
I just had the same problem.  I tried to purchase a couple of other keys but
none seemed to fit my '68.  I finally removed the locks from the inside of
the trailer - not too difficult for most of them.  I have 2 rear side doors
which open into compartments behind the wheels.  Both are accessible from
the inside underneath the beds (I have twins).  There is one to access the
refrigerator which can be accessed from underneath the refrigerator.  You
will need a long arm or something long to attach a screwdriver to though.  I
didn't have to get to the rear door as it was unlocked - so I can't offer
help there.  To remove the lock there is a single screw holding the bayonet
latch on.  Simply remove the screw and the latch will come off.  Then you
can remove the door.  Be careful, when the latch comes off, the lock
cylinder will also be free to fall out.  You then have 2 options.  First is
to take the cylinder to a locksmith and have a key made, the second to
change the whole lock.  I found that all of the locks are keyed the same, so
if you have a key made, you only have to take one lock apart.  If you go the
replacement route, you will have to change the entire lock assembly.  To do
this, you have to remove one side piece of the door to get access to the
cavity between the inner and outer door skins.  There is a thin piece of
metal shaped like a "c" which holds the lock body in place to the outer
skin.  The piece has a tab on one end to pull or pry on to slide it from
around the lock.  Once removed, the lock will fall out.  Measure the lock
body and find a replacement of the same size.  I put new ones in and the
keys all fit each other (same brand) so you shouldn't need to carry a bunch
of keys around.
Pete