[VAC] Confused on polishing exterior

Hello,
I am in the process of finishing interior repairs and replacing roof air on
my 63 overlander, 26 ft. which has been sitting up 7 years while I did my
duty in purgatory (DC).
While the exterior is not actually a mess, will need cleaning/polishing,
which brings me to my question:
I'm not sure if this model was clear-coated, and whether it was removed by
the previous owner, I can't tell. How do you know?
Does it make a difference on how I go about cleaning/polishing; will the job
be easier if it is clearcoated.
Should I try to remove the clearcoat if it has one, or just leave it alone.
A good power washing several weeks ago really made a difference in the
appearance. Course I'm not satisfied and want a better finish!
HELP!!
thanks,
dr john