[VAC] Re: Carefree awning

         It's (naturally) more difficult on an Airstream, but it is still a
fairly simple job- though at one point it is easier with three people.

         On SOBs, I unroll the awning, disconnect the legs from the bottom
brackets, and put the roller tube on saw horses.
         Next, I remove the tension from the spring ends (this is the only
mildly dangerous part- you need to firmly grab the spring end cap with
visegrips, then remove it from the arm and unwind- counting the turns)-
there is a lot of tension on them.

         Next, I remove one spring end from the tube, and slide the tube
off of the fabric, then remove one top bracket, and slide the old fabric
out of the awning rail.

         To replace it, I just reverse the steps- slide the new fabric into
the rail,replace the top bracket, slide the tube onto the fabric, retension
the springs and replace the arms..

         The other way- which is how the instructions say to do it, is to
unroll the awning a turn or so, then put a cotter pin through the cap/rod
(there should be a place for it)- and remove the whole thing- arms, fabric,
roller tube and all. Once it is off, you do the spring thing, etcetera.
Note that if you are getting an acrylic fabric with the aluminum weather
guard, you pretty much have to do it this way.

         Anyway- if you are buying the fabric through a local dealer, see
if you can watch them do one- I have several customers do that before they
replaced their own- once you see it done, it's easy (explaining it is hard).

________

         Chris Bryant