[VAC] Decorating and paint

Hi, my name is Gwen and my husband and I just bought a 1976 25 foot
Tradewind. We will take the winter off and travel for 3 months to escape
the New England winter. We are feeling very finnished with this snow
nonsense.  This is our first trailer and are unfamiliar with this life
style but we shall give it a try.  I haven't seen the interior of many
but I have noticed that all have wood cabinets and vinal walls.   I am
interested in painting the interior. I hate the vinal and the wood is
way too dark.  Has anyone had success in painting the vinal and if so,
was any special primer used?  Anything at all that I should know on this
subject would be appreciated.  Thanks.