[VAC] Re: Re Packing Wheel Bearings

Well, it got worse.  Apparently my other e-mail & attachment was too big.
Here's an attempt at the body of the e-mail without the attachment.  Then
I'll give up.
(the attachment was a picture of a bearing packer. if anyone wants to see
one, I'll send the picture alone in a separate e-mail)

Howdy all:

I thought I'd mention how happy I was with the use of a bearing packer.
Before the last big trip I packed both the bearings on my truck and those on
my trailer using one.

IMO, the packer fills the little nooks and crannies around the bearing
rollers better then MOST people could do via the old "scoop & goop" method.

For those who haven't seen one of there gadgets, it is a pair of shallow
plastic cones connected by a threaded tube with an opening for grease
between the cones.  A zirc fitting at the top of the tube connects to a
grease gun.

When a bearing is placed between the cones, the grease is forced out though
the rollers from inside the bearing to the outside.  Then you unscrew the
two cones and smear the extra grease around the exterior surface of the
bearing and you're done.   Fits large and small bearings of the type found
on pickups and A/Ss.

I also use a can of matching grease to fill around the bearing as much as I
can before screwing down the upper cone.  Then the grease from the gun
drives the other grease through the bearing.

After the type of grease is established, you theoretically can drive out the
old grease with the new without washing out the bearing.  I'm still thinking
about that one.

Takes a lot of the guesswork out packing as far as I'm concerned.

GQ '67 Safari