[VAC] wheel bearings

I did my annual wheel bearing repack and brake adjustment a couple of
weeks ago. It was interesting to find one of the outer bearings with
'spalled' rollers; they looked and felt very rough, probably due to
inadaquet hardening during manufacture. Hard telling how long that
bearing might have gone before failing completely.

Fortunately, I had a spare bearing on hand, so the job wasn't held up
while I ran to NAPA for another.

It had been about 10,000 miles since the last repack.

Moral of the story? Don't neglect those wheel bearings!!

                                       <<Jim>>