[VAC] Newbies in Taos-Towing with Ford Explorer

Ted,

  I have a Ford Explorer and have used it to tow two Airstreams, a '66
TradeWind tandem axle which weighs about 4,000lbs empty and a '65
Caravel which weighs 2350lbs empty.

My Explorer has the 3.73 axle and the 155 hp V6.  It is a '97 and is
equipped with a Class III receiver hitch, a Tekonsha electric brake
controller and a transmission oil cooler, it is the 4 speed automatic.
I have made numerous trips with the smaller trailer, most of the time I
use a sway bar but don't use an equalizer hitch.  Although I have not
traveled in high Western mountains I have been in the eastern Blue Ridge
up to about 6,000 feet.  I tow with "overdrive off" selected by the
switch on the gearshift lever most of the time unless I forget and it
goes to default.  My speed on Interstate is around 63, a little less if
I want to conserve gas.  I consistantly get 13.5 mpg on regular.  I have
had no problems and like the vehicle for its versatility and the ability
to use it as a daily driver.  I am not a mechanic and have no desire to
keep up multiple old vehicles, I like having one late model vehicle that
pretty much meet all my needs; the Explorer does that and tows the
Caravel without a problem.

Now, the bad news:  The Tradewind can be a handful behind the Explorer.
I towed it using an equalizer hitch with spring bars and at first  it
seemed OK, even maintaining 60+ mph with no problem in some hills around
Chattanooga, Tennessee.  But, the fast trucks would shake my rig and
then I was passed by a bus which was moving really fast, I'd guess 85 or
so and he was pushing an air wave that nearly blew me off the road. It
was a frightening experience.  No amount of driving skill would have
helped, it was too fast and too violent. No way I would want to tow the
Trade Wind out west or much on interstate. If I can stay on local two
lane roads at 55mph it will be OK for an occasional trip but that's it.

Somebody once commented that you can't always count on the condition
that your most experienced driver will be at the wheel when the
unexpected happens, and that sounds like reasonable advice.

In summary, the Explorer/Caravel combination has worked for me.  I would
not be comfortable using the Explorer to do much towing of the larger
trailer even though it is within the rated capacity of the vehicle.

Glenn Link
#3853  '65 Caravel 17', '66 Trade Wind 24'