[VAC] Re: Leaf Spring type Axle

David,
I'm doing a frame off resto on a '53 Cruiser. I have been pondering whether
or not to restore the old leaf spring and axel set up ,or replace it with a
Henchen Dura flex (or whatever they call it now) axel set up. There has been
recent discussion about to keep the old or replace with the new.
  I WAS going to keep the old but after thinking about relative cost to
rebuild springs,shackles,bushings,(bearings,and seals wich I replaced as soon
as bringing the trailer home)bla,bla,bla...Not to mention never needing to
think about busting a spring or shackle sicnce the Dura Flex type axel ain't
got ,em. They ride better than springs and the parts are on the shelf , since
the new axels have new everything on 'em. And it is much easier to do the
swap out on the bare frame that is in my yard now , than to do it later after
puting the trailer back together. The old stuff can be donated to someone who
wants a hardcore accurate restoration. I want a vintage that I can use as
much as possible during my time of owner ship (till I die) and be able to
pretty much replace driveline? parts off the shelf any where in America and
not seach for the Holy Grail of brakes ,bearings and seals.
 So with time spent fighting rusty bolts , scrubbing , cleaning , painting ,
reassembling and whatever else the old axel needs. Then the safety issue of
no springs or shackles to break. Then the easier parts and mantainence
theory. The cost isn't that bad either....I'm switchin' to thet thar new
fangled typa axel.
                                               Trike 5384
53 Cruiser up on saw horses