[VAC] Vista View windows: breaking inner glass???

I have a 77 Excella with three fogged VV windows.  I am having little luck
finding the recommended gasket material to do the procedure outlined by
Can-am RV.  This procedure recommends loosening the outer glass, cleaning it
and then resetting it.  Since I seem to be unable to find the gasket
material, I was wondering if anyone has ever knocked out the inner glass
without breaking the seal on the outer glass.  It seems to me that if
carefully done, the inner glass could be removed and the edges ( which might
be a little rough) could be covered with a window sealant, insulation foam
bead or other filler and the outer glass could be left unmolested and still
sealed to the window frame.
I welcome any thoughts, experiences, etc.

John  -- unclear in Atlanta