[VAC] Re: Pull Rite Hitches

Jerry,

I had a pull-rite hitch 2 tow vehicles ago. In some ways it is very good, in
others it made things difficult.

The pull-rite hitch comes with its own weight distribution bars since they
are not compatable with other brands.

I have owned a 1960 Overlander (26 foot) with a single axle. For many years
we used a standard equalizer hitch setup and was happy with it. Then, in
order to economize we purchased a Dodge Dakota with the 318 V-8 to use as a
tow vehicle. (This really did not help save money, the gas milage was just
as poor.) While the Dodge had the power to tow the trailer it just did not
have the mass needed to properly control it. To help remedy the situation we
installed a pull-rite. The conrol situation improved to acceptable levels
(but was still not as good as with a full sized truck).

The hitch removed the "trailer wagging the tow vehicle effect" that we
encountered while being passed by semi's. So in that manner it was very
good.

One down side is turning. The trailer now behaves like a semi trailer. You
have to make very wide turns or else your trailer jumps the curb when
rounding a corner.

Another down side is backing. The hitch effectively lengthens your trailer
by 3 feet or so. This made my trailer much less responsive while backing.

Another down side was crawling under the tow vehicle to lock/unlock the
hitch from its storage position.

The final down side is price. For half the price you can get a Reese hitch
setup with dual cam sway control and a friction bar sway control to boot.

The only reason I would get a Pull-rite (or Hensley) again is if I found
myself in the position of having a marginal tow vehicle for my trailer (too
light or too short of a wheelbase).

With your tow vehicle and the size of trailer you are looking for I would
suggest purchasing a good Reese setup with dual cams and use the money you
saved to finance your travels with the new Airstream!

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander