[VAC] Re: Vintage haulers and unleaded fuel

Marc,

I have a lot of friends and acquaintances in the old car hobby who drive old
cars that were designed and manufactured before the introduction of unleaded
fuels.  I have always heard the concern expressed as you have but like you,
I have not heard of anyone who has actually experienced engine problems
related to using unleaded fuel.

I have a '57 Chevy with a mildly modified 350 ci Chevy small block
transplanted from a '73 Monte Carlo.  It has about 25k hard miles in the
four years since it was built and installed including one 6k mile high
speed, heavily loaded cross-country trip using only unleaded premium fuels.
My guess is that valve seat and valve stem life will suffer but it probably
doesn't show up right away.

However, my experience with the unleaded fuel vs. old engines issue has been
limited to car use.  Unleaded fuel may make a much bigger difference much
sooner when the older engine is used for towing.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC