[VAC] Anti-sway

When I first posted this thread I was scared of high speeds on my (new)
1966 Ford F-250 Camper Special.
Thanks to a bunch of feedback from this group, and the Yahoo 1960-66 group
I learned a whole bunch of things that solved the problem.

The tire pressure is critical on pickups (and I assume all  pullers)
When I checked the pressure visually all tires looked well inflated.  Bad
Idea!  Got a good pressure guage and found variance from a low of 20 psi to
40 psi.

I hand pumped all tires to 45 using my Joe Blow hand pump . . . normally
used for bicycles and a lot of work to use for car tires but it did the job.

Took it for a test drive and there was some improvement but swaying was
still a slight problem.

Figured I needed anti-sway device when I got feedback from the Ford group
that this truck was already equipped with anti-sway.

Went to a local tire store and found out that my two rear tires were bias
ply and my two fronts were radial.  He pulled out a copy of the tire
dealers manual and showed me the facts about mixing tires.  It can be done
on a two wheel drive vehicle BUT the radials should be in the rear and the
bias in front.  Why?  I asked.

He said "radials tend to oversteer.  Bias ply tends to under steer.  By
putting the bias on the front you can compensate using the steering
wheel".  Dughhhhhh.

They swapped the bias to the front and radial to rear and brought the tire
pressure on all to 55.  The results were mind boggling.  The truck tracks
straight and true with no swaying a 70 mph during lane changes and in
negative banked turns.  As an added benefit the (non power) steering was
much easier at all speeds.

This is probably routine stuff to all you pros, but it was a revelation to
me.  I solved a big problem for almost no money.
Bob