[VAC] Subject: Durango

I likewise have a '99 Durango 5.9 V8, with added K&N Fuel Injection
Charger, which serves as a ram induction tube with large, oil-cotton air
filter with double the air flow as stock. I tow my '66 Overlander with
it using a Reese load equalizing hitch. I towed the Overlander from
Denver to Olema, CA and back last fall without a problem. The K&N
boosts horsepower to +270 hp and helps the bottom-end torque, and when
pushed sounds like a Mopar police interceptor-very quick.  Mileage is
about the same. The "opened up" Durango handles even high altitude
passes with ease. I chose the loaded Durango because besides its towing
capabilites, I wanted an SUV that could maneuver Denver's congested
parking garages, and provide comfortable trips to the mountains for
skiing and blizzard management. I was a former multi-Suburban owner and
currently also own a Chevy 2500 with the 7.4 monster motor for horse
trailer towing. The Durango is no Suburban, but if you are looking for a
good overall compromise vehicle with 7400# tow capacity, it is tough to
beat. If size is not an issue, go for the Suburban for not much more, if
anything. Unless one drives mucho miles per year, forget the diesels. Do
the return on investment your self. Diesels usually command a +$4000
premium over a gas engine without the corresponding resale later. One
has to drive alot to make up the difference, plus deal with finding fuel
when you most need it. Add to that winter starting/running woes in cold
country. My gas engines fire up at -20 below. Most diesels don't without
a lot of attention. OK diesel fans. Attack!
Randy Unter
'66 Overlander
Denver