This is my evening to muddy waters! :)

My connection to the battery consists of white (bunched wires) and red
 bunched wires).  Is it possible that your orange is a faded red wire?  The
#6 blue wire in my Safari is the charge line from the tow vehicle.  It
should connect to the DC fuse panel and then change color to red and on to
the battery?  Of course, in my Safari the DC wiring all terminates in the
convenience hatch where it is easily accessible.  I note that the wiring
color in '72 indicates that red and black are the preferred or code colors
rather than red and white as installed in my '69 Safari.  The blue charge
line remained unchanged.  The schematic also indicates that there's a gray
line in addition to the red and black.  Then, there's the purple #1, yellow
#2, pink #3, brown #4, and blue #5 that represent 5 circuits (the blue
doubles as a charge line.  The wires to the battery are red + and black -.
The blue connects through the univolt and not directly to the battery?  At
least that's what the '72 Service Manual indicates.

Don't think my '69 Safari is this sophisticated.

                                                   '69 Safari, Joy