[VAC] transformer/converter question

We have a '65 Caravel with a terrifically messed up transformer unit. It
appears that the original owner fancied themselves a certified electrician,
tho' they really shouldn't have.

The unit does not charge the batterey when hooked up to the tow vehicle,
nor does it seem to convert 110V. to 12V. when hooked up to city power. (Am
I wrong in assuming that when hooked to city power, the water pump should
function via converted power from this unit?)

Due to the fact that there are wires everywhere, some attached to things,
some not, and that the original fuse bracket has been replaced with a
thread in home style unit, what I would like to do is replace the original
with a new transformer/converter and then a fuse panel for all of the lines
running to their respective outlets/appliances.

Any advice on what to get, as far as a transformer/converter would be
greatly appreciated.
Any advice on where to find a detailed electrical diagram so that I know
which wires go to where would be greatly appreciated as well.
Lastly, any advice on how to go about the job wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Thanks in advance!
John & Jodi Guerin
'65 Caravel