[VAC] Re: new 34'

Hi Andrea (http://home.mindspring.com/~andiart/_wsn/page4.html),

If I understand you correctly, you're looking for a vehicle to tow the 34' around "flat Florida" and
then getting a smaller trailer for play when you go longer distances.

If it was me, I'd plan on using the same tow vehicle for both trailers and I'd think in terms of the
smaller one being towed many more miles than the larger one. With that in mind, it might make sense
to think in terms of the minimum tow vehicle you'll need for relocating your 34' occasionally within
the Florida flatlands. In my estimation, a 1/2 ton suburban, pickup or van configuration would
suffice, providing it was built by the factory to tow an 6-8,000 pound trailer (your 34' weights
close to 10,000 pounds but you'll only be relocating it occasionally, if that).

If this seems reasonable to you, the next group of concepts to sift through would be how large will
your "smaller" Airstream be. If it's 20' or less, then I think you could easily manage most of the
terrain east of the Mississippi, including most of the eastern mountains with the 1/2 ton truck.

If it's 27' where the trailer weight is approaching the factory specification limits, then you may
want to consider a 3/4 ton truck, although your 1/2 ton truck might still manage satisfactorily, but
with a smaller margin of capability. Only you can decide how much margin is tolerable for you. In
reading the postings by others on this list, you'll quickly recognize there is wide range of margin
preferences. And for each person, their choice is what is best for them.

Next comes personal preference for configuration of the tow vehicle. If you are gung ho for one and
only one configuration, then that settles it. Start looking today.

If you are open to considering all three (suburban, pickup and van), then your next list is about
pluses and minuses of each. For example, how many people will be riding in the truck while you're
towing, or do you want the capability of having a nap-time bed in the driving compartment, or do you
want to be able to stand up inside the truck. There are dozens of such considerations that only you
can identify. Those of us on this list can identify our own preferences and share them with you.
But, it's up to you to prioritize your own preferences and use those when you go searching for a tow
vehicle.

Andrea, this is enough for now. I may be off on a tangent and far afield from where your head is
thinking. Let me know, okay?

Answering your second question is simpler. You asked if our tow vehicles and trailers are all for
recreation. No, but in a way, Yes. My wife and I embraced the RVers lifestyle 40+ years ago and
chose to make the North American continent our back yard.

Like you, we have the intention of using our large Airstream for occasional moves and the smaller
Airstream for local rallies, caravans and following the historic trails around the country. We have
been doing just that. Most recently, we took three months and followed the Oregon Trail from start
to finish with stops at every single place we could locate (did our homework for a year before
embarking on this trip). We and another family traveled together. Both of us are solar panel
enthusiasts and boondocker buddies.

Anyhow, our long range plan is to position one of our larger and one of our smaller Airstreams in
the west AND in the east. Then, when we turn 90 and don't care for long distance towing anymore, the
airlines will shuffle us back and forth every six months and we can continue the adventure of
exploring this land of ours.

Our goal is still in the making. Last year, we bought the second smaller Airstream, but have not
finished restoring it. Both of our larger Airstreams and one smaller Airstream are fully
operational. A month ago, we returned from an 8 month cross country trip (14,366 miles) with our '77
31' and our '78 Ford Van. The only parts of the continent we haven't yet begun exploring are the 10
southern most states in Mexico. There is more to explore on this continent than we have years of
life to live and we've been trying to do it all.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net