[VAC] Questions on Uni-Volt

After going back and looking through the older posts (that I have) on the
Uni-Volt system, I have the following questions.

If I decided to use a different charger/converter system than the UniVolt,
is there a way not to lose the use of the Control Panel?

If I keep the Uni-Volt (one of the 3 resistors on mine has a short, and
assuming we can find a replacement, it should be possible to fix the
system), is there a way to turn it off once the battery is at full charge,
so the system doesn't cook the battery?

Thanks for your help,
Mary
'72 Overlander