[VAC] Re: [A/S] First overnight stay and delivery

I haven't gotten my copy of the Blue Beret so I can't offer my
interpretation of what's written. However, my question has to do with
identifying new owners of any Airstream -- new or previously owned -- those
not sold through an Airstream dealer. I would imagine many, and possibly
most, preowned Airstreams are bought and sold through SOB dealers or private
individuals (as I did).

One might hope that Airstream dealers would participate in notifying WBCCI
of the name and contact information of an Airstream purchaser. Strikes me as
unrealistic to think that SOB dealers and/or private individuals would do
so -- or even know about the "Member at Large" program. The first big
problem is to identify who these potential new members are. That will take
some doing.

As was previously mentioned, the most effective recruiting strategy is
personal, one-on-one contact by an existing WBCCI member. Hopefully one who
is enthusiastic about the organization and it's benefits. And that's where
WBCCI International can help. Spend some money and find out what would
motivate a new owner who purchased an Airstream to join WBCCI and
specifically what it would take to convert a "lost sheep" first year Member
at Large into a dues paying participating, active WBCCI member. Maybe we
need to rethink the value received for the money spent on annual dues.

In my case it's for the privilege of participating in these discussions with
other Airstream enthusiasts, attending a few unit rallies (hopefully some of
the WDCU unit rallies too) and parking at Top of Georgia for $8/day. I won't
be attending the International Rally as a working family (and not 3,000
miles distant in any case). In the several years I was previously an active
member (membership chairman) of the Georgia Unit (up until 1988), the unit
never had a caravan and if you had ever attended one unit rally, you had
attended them all. Great people in the Georgia Unit but the activities were
pretty much geared to seniors and retirees and not families with kids. I
recently rejoined and that may not be typical now or typical of other units.

Seems to me the best opportunity to grow WBCCI is to find a way to identify
potential members (Airstream owners), find out what benefits and activities
would induce them to join, approach them about joining (one-on-one is best)
and encouraging them to do so. It appears from the continuing decline in
membership, we don't have the right strategy in place yet.

Your turn on the soapbox now.

Jim Greene
WBCCI # 1148 VAC, WDCU, GA Unit
formerly # 25370