[VAC] Trucks as pullers

Since I've been a member of both lists there have been discussions about
trucks as pullers, with a lot of good info on "favorites".

I had the good fortune to be invited to a GM TruckShow in Motion, where I
had the opportunity to check some pullers out head-to-head....sort of.

I chose to test drive the GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab, the Ford F-350 Super
Duty Crew Cab and the Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab, all with the currently
available diesel engines. There was no way to check fuel economy, so I won't
even touch that.

All the cabs were roomy, but until Dodge comes out with a true Crew Cab they
will always fall short of the others.  I do own a Quad Cab 1500, and feel I
need more room.  Ford or GMC (Chevy) get my vote.

A purely unscientific test of power was to pull a 5500# trailer with each
rig.  The GMC felt like it handled the load best....I hardly knew it was
there.  The Ford PSD was next.  Cummins was last.

Noise was a big consideration for me, and by far, the loudest was the Dodge
with the Cummins.  Next loudest was the Ford PSD, and by comparison, the new
GMC Duramax Diesel was whisper quiet.  I was really impressed with the lack
of clatter in that engine.

I'm going back tomorrow and play some more, since I have to consider a new
puller in about a year.  If you have the chance, check the new GM Duramax
out.  Take a look at http://www.gmtruckshow.com and see if it's coming to
your area so you can do your own hands-on check.

I just _may_ have a Sierra/Duramax 6600 puller for the Alaska trip next
year.

Roger Hightower
1975 31' Sovereign....WBCCI 4165....VAC
Mesa, AZ