[VAC] Replacement of the AC Unit

Ed, I went through this procedure last year with my '66 Overlander. I
took it to CW, told them to yank the oldie and install a new Penguin. On
the Overlander, the original a/c has the condenser on the roof with a
shaft through the roof to the fan unit below and drip pipe running to
the grey water vent pipe.
There is no 14 x 14 cutout for the new a/c. The CW folks respectfully
declined installation of the on-sale Penguin, stating they "don't cut
into Airtreams".
I thanked them for their honesty and took my a/s to Windish Airstream in
Lakewood. They studied it carefully, consulting the Airstream factory
and recommended replacing my 14 X 14 hatch over the galley with the a/s
version of the Penguin (at twice the cost). I did opt for the remote
thermostat option as the original a/c, so that accounted for part of the
added cost. Plus, I had a certified, install backed by a/s, so I felt
this was worth the extra $ over the long haul. I now have a Dometic a/c
serviceable anywhere, and low profile. My Overlander had two 14 X 14
and one 14 X 25 openings, so I had one to give up. If you don't want to
give up a 14 X 14, you may want to consider rebuilding your present
unit. If you have a 14 X 14 to lose, you could approach CW and have them
install into the 14 X 14 or go to your local a.s dealer and let them
check with the factory for the best solution. In any case, I recommend
pulling new wiring to the new unit to the box. No need to start a fire
with the old stuff/or deal with blown fuses as I did intially with my
new one.
Good luck.
Randy Unter
'66 Overlander