[VAC] Re: Smoke & Tears

After spending a weeks pay on two mechanics who both botched the valve covers I decided to do them myself with the tips that I had learned from all you VACers :)

I found a used but unwarped pair of valve covers at a local hot rod shop.  They carefully ballpean hammered the hols to make sure they were not bent inward from previous use.

I bought ROL Performance Gaskets.  They are a compound of Blue Nitrile/Cork and twice as thick as the old gaskets.  I used Edelbrock gasket adhesive which also can be used as a belt dressing?

I took Dr. G's advice and found the spreaders that distribute the force.  They are about four inches long.  I put a washer under the spreaders to add a subtle force as the nuts were tightened.  Followed everyone's advice and tightened slowly and cross the cover (sort of like how we tighten lugs on a wheel).

Drove on freeway and stop and go with bonnet open.  The valve cover is as tight as a drum.  There is no more oil oozing down onto the exhaust manifold.  There is still some smoke but it was far less than before.  I hope that it is just old oil burning off from unseen places BUT

Tomorrow I will continue my quest for no smoke and tears.  I will be watching the pan gasket like a hawk.  This gasket was supposedly done three weeks ago by the same mechanic that did Job#2 on the valve covers.

Bob