[VAC] Re: 5th wheel (Lightbulb flashes on)

All (as in nobody in particular),

It sounds like there's a line being drawn in the sand (a bit fuzzy, what
else can you draw in the sand) about what is preferred by VAC'ers in
general, as far as what should be changed (or not) when rehabbing an
older A/S.

I like the part about making it "usable", I like the part about
"maintaining the character" and I like the part about "replace . . . to
their level of comfort".

I don't like the notion of someone telling me what all these things are
to me.

I believe that it's up to the individual.  I've often thought about
making a 5th wheel A/S trailer, my version would need two trailers to
work, plus a completely new frame, I suppose I'm in twice as much
trouble now.  As far as maintaining the character, well, to me that
means an Aluminum Trailer, that says Airstream on it (maybe in two
places).  The reason I've thought about it, is because there isn't one,
at least one that comes close to looking vintage.  Besides the fact that
5th wheels are easier and safer to pull with the right equipment, I've
always wanted a 5th wheel.  I own a Vintqage (only a '73) Airstream now
and have come to enjoy and appreciate it very much the little I have
used it, so now I want an "Airstream" 5th wheel.  I would like to think
that I would end up building something that Wally himself would
appreciate and possibly build, if he had a chance.

I have some notions about the "character" of an Airstream. Working in a
structural engineering field, I've come to appreciate the unibody design
of an airstream trailer and how light it is compared to similarly sized
trailers from other manufactuers.

Some points to consider . . .

What about building a unitized body like an Airstream, only out of
carbon fiber, instead of aluminum, is this maintaining the character of
an Airstream, even if the materials are different, much lighter and more
exotic, not to mention that it doesn't quite polish up as nice as say an
aluminum version.  What about Solar panels on the roof? or fantastic
vents (which look nothing like mine, inside or out, I rebuilt my old
ones by the way). What is maintaining the character and what is not? I
could see my trailer having another axle. It's quite functional the way
it is, but I like things over built, lets me feel an increased level of
"Comfort". Would this be destroying the character of an Airstream. I've
also thought about building an enclosed spare tire carrier and cover on
the back face out of Aluminum and integrated into the trailer itself. Is
this going "Too Far", if not what is? If it was, where was the line?

The point I'm trying to make I suppose is, that one persons "Character"
is another's Raw material.

bobb

P.S.  I just got a variety Pack of Blades for my Sawzall, now where did
I park that trailer . . .

--

    http://64.33.167.222/