[VAC] Re: Boondocker Heaven

I was at MOMA in Feb and took a *lot* of pictures of The Maximog and
the trailer and have been meaning to get them up on the web. The
Unimog and trailer are totally over the top. The trailer is a palace.

Bran Ferren designed it and Unicat, a German company that builds
expedition Unimogs for exploration, camping, etc. built it. Bran
Ferren used to lead the Imagineering Group at Disney.

He's also pals with Nathan Myrvold, the billionaire ex-CTO of
Microsoft. Apparently, Bran and Nathan like to go out and dig for
dinosaur fossils and stuff like that and then dine like gourmets at
night. I don't know about Bran but I know that Nathan is known as a
gourmet. The Maximog will certainly enable them to do these two
things quite well.

The Maximog project was reported to have cost $1.5M. I assume that
this truck was allowed entry into the US through some DOT crash-test
waiver combined with the fact that they are using an already EPA
approved engine instead of the stock Mercedes engine that is found in
Unimogs.

If you are interested in Unimogs you'll want to join the unimog
mailing list @ topica. There you'll find a whole lot of mog lovers,
most of whom are driving around in 30+ year old 404 Unimogs that are
ex-military surplus from Europe.