[VAC] Re: Compact Flourescent Bulbs

12 volt fluorescent ballasts tend to operate at supersonic frequencies
because that makes the lamps more efficient. 30 years ago they weren't
up the supersonic frequencies and fluorescent fixtures on city busses
tended to be very annoying.

I'm liking the twist replacement lamps better than the plain u-tube
replacements that screw into standard lamp sockets. They seem to be more
efficient and to have a more uniform spread of light. It took two tries
a year ago at Walmart to bring home a working one, but I noticed
yesterday that they had them from GE for about 1/3 the price from last
year. The "reflector" compact fluorescent lamps are barely greater in
efficiency than incandescent reflector lamps.

Electronic ballasts may operate the lamps at higher frequencies than 60
Hz for greater efficiency. At the same time they may interfere with
radio and TV reception. World standards for interference are tougher
than a few years ago, but not as stringent as I'd prefer.

By the way, Dc fixtures using circuline lamps won't be using the new
phosphors, but the classic cool white and warm white.

Gerald J.