[VAC] Re: Compact Flourescent Bulbs

         You can get different lamps for these lights- there will be
letters at the end, most of them are "CW" for Cool White (i.e. the bulb
will have the designation F15T8 CW). I like the warm white look, but there
are options.

         Another option for the hard core tinker I got from the newsgroup
rec.outdoors.rv-travel. The whole post is here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=neon++group:rec.outdoors.rv-travel&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&scoring=relevance&as_drrb=quick&as_qdr=&as_mind=15&as_minm=8&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=4&as_maxy=2001&rnum=4&seld=922337942&ic=1

         I hope that comes out clickable- but here is the relevant part of
a post written by John De Armond :

>If you know someone who makes neon, he can make you neon tubes of
>the same length to fit in the fixture.  It should run on the same
>inverter "ballast".  If not, a replacement neon driver can be bought
>from Scientific Systems (on the web, don't have a URL handy) for
>about $15.  All neon except clear red works exactly like a
>fluorescent lamp except that neon electrodes are designed to operate
>cold and thus don't sputter under normal circumstances.  Neat thing
>about neon is that you have a wide range of colors to choose from.
>Tecnolux's "incandescent" color tubing almost exactly duplicates the
>spectrum of incandescent lamps.  Gets rid of that cold feeling that
>fluorescent lamps produce even with warm white bulbs.  That same
>phosphor is used in the compact fluorescent fixtures sold by
>Philips, etc.  You've probably noticed that in the context of the
>metal halide lighting in Lowes, etc, that they appear yellowish
>orange. Really nice effect when used at home.  The nice thing about
>neon technology is that it will last forever if properly processed.
>
>John

         I haven't tried it, and cannot vouch for the accuracy- but it
sounds pretty cool.

________

         Chris Bryant
         Bryant RV Services