[VAC] Re: A Modest Proposal

Buying Shady Dell would have to be a joint venture among whatever members wanted to make an investment in it, on some agreed terms including in part as a memorial to Bill.  It could serve as the base of restoration operations that Jim Smith mentioned in the previous post, and could possibly be a source of funds for ongoing procurements as well as paying off the financing and the initial member investments at some rate.  I would be interested in exploring that possibility but I would have to know a whole lot more about it first; also I'm not sure it's really a topic for this list.  At least to generate interest it seems appropriate (Toby?  Scott?), and then for whoever wants to pursue it, we could switch to Tom's site to get down to brass tacks, or aluminum rivets.  As I said, I like the idea but I couldn't carry it alone, and it would require people on site to run the business side.  Anyone else out there who hasn't already sunk all discretionary funds into their own impossible dream?

And, there is also Tuna's original idea which could overlap with the previous but doesn't require that to happen in order to do some casual, pass-it-around restoration work.  I'm interested in either one.

--Sarah