[VAC] Re: A Modest Proposal

Tuna:  I love your idea and I hate it that that Bowlus and the Curtiss-Wright offered recently apparently (probably) got away from us.  Also the set of historical papers.  For that matter I'd love to see us buy Shady Dell and use it as the site for these restoration projects, as well as possibly to generate money for the work (assuming it's a going concern, which it seems like it at least could be).  I think it would be easier to have a place where the work is done rather than having them passed around from member to member.  I can see some problems with the execution of the idea but I don't think they're insurmountable, they'd just take some figuring out and probably some legal paperwork.  The two most difficult issues I see are, how do you figure the contribution of one person putting in money and another person putting in time (i.e., what hourly rate do you use for which kinds of work?); and who is available to be the "on-site" supervisor for the work?  Finally, the point of restoring them would have to be for them to be used, and with all of us so busy with our own money-pits and traveling with them, under what conditions and by who would they get used?  Starting a nonprofit corporation for the purpose is relatively straightforward, but getting the actual work done, I fear that might be another story.  Also, all that voting is pretty cumbersome, and in the meantime prizes may slip away from us, and then what about the recriminations?  Anyway put me down as someone who would love to see it happen, and see where it goes from there.

--Sarah