[A/S] Re: [VAC] Replacing suspension Henschen v. Dexter

I just got off the phone with Jason Wright at Henschen [ (937)-596-5138 or
(937)-596-6125-X119 , hensales@bright.net ], having purchased a Henschen
Dura-Flex (what they're calling the Dura-Torque, now) 3500#-rated axle,
complete with 10" Dexter electric brakes, shock absorber and mounting kits,
for around $380.00 (plus freight, which won't be cheap).

This is essentially the same setup used on the new Bambi. Heavier axles are
available, of course, and the price seems to go up about $15 per 1,000 lbs
of rated capacity. They camber and caster the axle at the factory, included
in the price. They do sell directly to individual customers from the
QDS/Henschen factory.

The principal advantages (factors that influenced my decision) include:

1) the simplicity/elegance of the design [see:
http://www.mobilexhibit.com/suspen.html ]

2) that Airstream switched to this axle some forty years ago, and is still
using it

3) that the suspension is encased and protected inside the axle tube

4) that it obviates the need for a leaf-spring type suspension

5) that one can opt for a different wheel bolt pattern
    (i'm going with the almost universal 5 x 5.5"), making wheel replacement
much easier

6) true independent suspension

7) and lastly (but by no means leastly) that two folks whose opinions i
value most highly
    in this regard - Bud Cooper and Bill Scott - favored the Henschen.

8) i think there are a couple of other advantages, but can't think of them
at the moment...
    (heavily-medicated following extensive dental work)

Also, I'm using the old funky 'truck' with Dexter axle/brakes/leaf-springs
to make up a really heavy-duty utility trailer for next to no cost.

I know of no disadvantages to using the Dura-Flex, nor do a growing number
of OEM trailer manufacturers.

I'm posting this to both lists, since similar discussions are occurring in
both places.

Tuna
'48 Trailwind
'50 Jeepster