[VAC] Re: EMERGENCY Advice Needed

Jeff,
 I think you have it about covered.

>From my experience (I've had similar trouble, both brakes and bearings),
here's what you can look for:

If the noise is scraping and screeching, it's probably brakes. If the
sound is "crunchy" and really nasty-sounding, it's more likely bearings.
It seems unlikely that a brake component failure would actually lock a
wheel up tight, but it could happen, I suppose, normally the stuff just
gets ground up, scores the drum, but you can continue. When the
disintegrated wheel bearing finally gives way completely, SOMETHING
gives. It spins the inner race on the spindle, wrings the spindle off
(usually after the bearing melts down completely), and/or the wheel
falls off.

If you want to see what disintegrated bearings look like, stop along the
road the next time you see a boat trailer or popup camper sitting there
on a block. Bearing failures on those are very common because of: water
in the bearings (boat trailers) and the very high rotational speed of
the small wheels (both).

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

                                         <<Jim>>