[VAC] Re: Aluminum source

Hi Sarah,

I realize that A/S construction might have changed over the years; however,
my '69 Safari is nearly identical to the illustrations in the '72 Service
manual.  The first few pages show exploded chassis views of both the single
and tandem axle.  I  highly recommend purchase of a service manual from
Secretarial Services.  I've found it invaluable for determining how to
approach restoration of my Safari.

The outrigger is most likely available from A/S as I doubt that the part has
changed much over the years.  I see some specified for curb, roadside,
"solid right hand notched outrigger", "standard outrigger roadside", etc.
The members that extend from frame rail to frame rail are called "cross
members" in the service manual.  I prefer to call them "cross frame
members".

The strength of the differing shapes of the outriggers might have a direct
bearing on the load bearing function of the outrigger.  Most are stampings
with large open areas intended to lighten the load! :)

A meaningful sketch of an outrigger is beyond my artistic capability - if I
had any to begin with.  Unless Michael can scan the picture in his book and
send the image to  you, I'll try to get a picture and send it to you
off-list as the miniature on-list wouldn't give you much useable detail.

                                                  '69 Safari, Joy