[VAC] Re: Bath Floor Rot

My '69 Safari had a similar problem and the cause of the floor rot is pretty well discussed on this list.  I opted to take the bathroom out and found that the floor rot was much more extensive than I imagined.  Because the job was much bigger than I imagined when I bought the Safari and I took off "doing it my own way", it will be at least next year before I have the unit on the road.

I chose to take the bathroom out because I couldn't imagine trying to work through the convenience hatch.  Others have done it, so it can be done.   However, I think repairing the damage so it will last and prevent future damage requires access to the entire bathroom floor from the cross frame member in front of the holding tank housing to and including the cross brace under the aft body.

I installed a new brace from the cross frame member in front of the holding tank to the rear most cross frame member.  The brace is shaped like an inverted "T" with three inch wings welded to the top of the "T".  I split the floor down the center and installed the new floor in two pieces with the center resting on the brace.   With this arrangement, the floor is much stronger than the original.  The brace is cut into the floor to minimize intrusion into the holding tank housing area.

Other restorers have secured a 1/4 inch  plywood scab under the floor, saturated the rotted wood with clear penetrating epoxy, and glued another plywood scab on top.  I don't know how this gets done through the convenience hatch and under the floor, but it works.  To replace the missing rotted wood across the rear, you'd have to use sawdust mixed with the epoxy to add some structure.  You chose how much work you want to do and how long you want the repair to last.  As for me, I hate temporary fixes that have to be redone in a year or so.

I'm learning as I go along.  Much of the headaches have been resolved from the experiences of participants on this list.

The gurgling you hear might be from water in the housing that floats the tank.  Stepping on the floor sloshes the water around the tank.  Of course, if you holding tank housing is leaky, I have no idea what the noise is.   Is the holding tank full? :)

Adding a gray water tank in lieu of getting a blue boy or what ever it's called doesn't sound practical.  My 23' Safari only has about 1000 pounds to accommodate LP, water, personal gear, black water, AC, etc.  A 10 gallon gray water tank would add about 100 pounds and subtract from necessary hauling capacity.  Well, I'm referring to a single axle unit.  If yours is a dual axle, just delete this comment.

                                                 '69 Safari, Joy