[VAC] Re: Find that blower!

Dr. G.,

I mentioned earlier that I use synthetic motor oil to relube the porous
bronze bushings used in many motors as bearings.  What I learned in part was
from a very knowledgible motorcycle mechanic while working on motorcycle
starters.  These are subject to very high heat in an adverse environment.
His technique was  to isolate the self bearing, soak it in solvent for a
period.  Then, place the porous bearing in a pot with synthetic oil and
carefully heat the oil until the porous bronze stoped bubbling.  This forces
the air and solvent out of the bronze.  As the bronze cools, the oil fills
the voids.  My attic fans run very hot and using this techique on the self
bearings is the only means by which the bearings don't freeze up every
couple of years.

IMHO, if the furnace uses porous bronze bearings, it takes a treatment more
than just applying surface oil.  Synthetic oil is intended to reach very
high temperatures with out molecular breakdown.  Most other oils boil off
the lighter fractions leaving a viscous mess.  Just my experiences and they
may not work with the furnace bearings, especially those that are described
by the manufacturer as "sealed".

                                                 '69 Safari, Joy