[VAC] Re: Find that blower!

Hi All,

With regard to Suburban furnaces, the blower provides both combustion air
and circulation air for the ducts.  Meaning that it's a dual purpose motor
and  under very heavy stress.

I suggest that you look at the service manual.  It will be necessary to
remove the furnace completely from the cabinet to service the motor/blower
assembly.

To remove the furnace form the cabinet, you have to remove the outside vent
cap and the retaining screws.  Then, remove the gas supply and the interior
furnace cover.  Disconnect the power and thermostat wires.  I installed a
Radio Shack connector so I could service the furnace without cutting wires,
etc.  The service manual also says that for some models, you have to cut a
hole in the cabinet shelf to operate the latch that holds the front cover in
place?  I'm looking at a '72 Safari Service Manual.  I don't think the
furnaces have changed all that much over the years?

Once the  furnace is out, the exact blower removal procedure is specified
for individual furnace.  The motor is a sealed, lifetime oiled unit.  I
doubt that you can oil it to make it serviceable.  I have had some success
with saturating self porous brass bearings with synthetic oil.  My attic
fans used to freeze up frequently until I started taking them apart and
using synthetic oil.  I haven't had a problem for a couple of years with the
motors freezing up.

I'd check the model of your furnace and find out if replacement parts are
available.  If not, you'll have to search for used parts (inviting the same
problem) or buy a new assembly if available.  It could be that the newer
units are so efficient as compared to the old, that it would be a wise
investment to replace the furnace.

I think I read a post that stated that the newer furnaces are an exact
replacement for the retired furnace.

                                        Good Luck, '69 Safari, Joy