[VAC] Re: Bicycle Rack?

1 - Greg, one year I put my standard bike on the front of my Van. Disadvantage was the number of
flying insects that got tangled in the chain and splattered on the frame. When I tried putting a
plastic cover over the bike, the ram air to my radiator was severely restricted creating
unacceptable engine temperatures.

2 - Next, I tried putting the bike on the back of my Van. Disadvantage was the amount of vacuum dirt
that gravitated to the sprocket, chain and every other part of the bike. Second disadvantage was
turning restriction while towing. Too sharp a turn and the bikes would hit the trailer.

Putting the bike on the back of the trailer may seem logical, but 40 pounds is heavier than one
might realize. Being that far from the fulcrum may result in the 40 pounds have a much heavier
impact on you trailer (not good).

3 - Next, I tried putting the bike on the roof of my Van. Disadvantage was getting it up there, but
it was doable. I tried using a plastic cover to protect it from splattering bugs, but it wasn't
strong enough to sustain 60 mph winds. When I tried a canvas cover, it was satisfactory as long as I
re-stitched loose threads (by hand with waxed thread from my awl sewing kit bought at Campmor in
NJ). Resewing was often necessary after a day's drive.

When I decided to carry our canoe on the Van's roof, simple rain gutter clamps were used with
various lengths of 2x4 to create the exact platform of contact points for securing the canoe.
Another set of clamps were used with 2x4s to create a second platform for securing the bike.

4 - When we use our Mercury Station Wagon, it is long enough for me to lay the rear wheel of the
bike over the back seat and the front wheel on a comforter spread on top of gear. Disadvantage was
the packing procedure had to be exactly the same each time for everything to fit. Next, I tried
removing the bike's front wheel to make maneuvering the fork easier and less ganglie. That worked
well with our station wagon as long as I didn't pack during the rain while all gear would get wet.

5 - With our Van, I have now reached the epitome of simplicity for carrying a bike. It slips inside
crosswise and is easily attached with bungee cords to floor eyelets installed for that purpose. When
I built a closet into the Van, I positioned it so the bike's front wheel would slip into a slotted
space between the closet and our Rascal. I've been satisfied with this system for 11 years.

None of these ideas sound exactly like what might work for you with your big bike, but perhaps they
will prompt a useful idea.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net