[VAC] In search of advice from the Airstream Gurus

 Well the time has come to experience the thrill of my first Airstream purchase. I need to make a decision on whether to purchase a 1962 Globetrotter. I want to be an educated consumer. My education so far includes visiting an Airstream dealership (I’d rather buy an old one) and researching prices of vintage trailers on the Internet. The particular trailer I’m interested in looks like it has a fairly clean exterior with two small dents and a replacement door on the hot water heater compartment. The rear bathroom window has been replaced with an air conditioner. On a positive note, it has the original hubcaps and a spare wheel.

The original toilet has been replaced. So have the hot water heater (AC only) and the refrigerator (AC only). The trailer will need these replaced to be self-contained.

I’m going to look at the trailer this weekend, if it is still available. I’d like to know what to look for during the visual inspection. What are the steps to make a thorough appraisal of this trailer?

Finally, is the $7,000 price tag within reason for the trailer description I provided. The owner said something about it being a "california model"...what does that mean? My best estimate is a price range from $2,000 to $7,000. I’d like to know what are the criteria that make one trailer more valuable than another.

Thank you in advance

Jeff Griffin