[VAC] Re: Moisture Problems]

Jerry,

I'm working with the tail light bezel to replace the backup and stop/tail
lights in my '69 Safari.  From the pictures I see, the tail light
assembly/bezel changed significantly over the years.  Maybe you could post a
picture of the assembly on list or to my e-mail address,
joytbrew@patriot.net.  I'm having many heart aches with trying to find the
light bases that fit in my bezels.  The local NAPA store will order the
signal-stat bases that I can modify at @ $25.  The lens kit that includes
the lens, screws, and gasket is $5.

In my unit, the water entered around the light base, rusted much of lamp
holder out along with the base of the base.

If  you have a cast aluminum bezel, the service manual instructs using a
putty knife to drive through the putty to cut off the existing rivets that
are installed from the inside.  To replace, holes are drilled from the
outside through the bezel and new pop rivets are  used to secure the bezel.
Seems like a small removal of the surface vulkem caulk is all that's needed
and then apply a new bead.  It's doubtful that there is leakage between a
bezel and the skin since the vulkem remains soft inside the joint.

You'll note in the picture that I taped the backup lights to keep the hot
lead from shorting while I towed the unit home.  Had to make similar
modifications inside the brake light cover to keep the wires from shorting.

Just my opinions here and other year/models may have different construction.

                                              '69 Safari, Joy