[VAC] Towing With A Short Wheel Base Tow Vehicle

I agree with Harvey; park the Land Rover, buy a good used full size
pickup ( or new if your budget allows), preferrably a 3/4 ton with at
least a 3.73 axle, and you will:
1. have a safer vehicle that will handle the load with better control on
the highway, especially under the dreaded push-pull scenarios when
wressling with passing semis.
2. Save on the wear and tear on your expensive L-R. Chevy-Ford-Dodge
P/U's are cheap to repair compared to L-R.
3. Get better fuel economy with the biggest engine P/U. For example I
tow a 26' Overlander with either a 99 Dodge Durango with 5.9 ltr V8,
3.92 axle ratio or a '97 Chevy 2500, 7.4 Ltr V8 with 3.73 axle ratio.
Both tow well, but the big Chevy does so with complete control and the
same fuel mileage.
I tow in Colorado's mountains with long, steep grades. Both handle the
load well, but on last Fall's trip to Olema, CA rally, I had to cross
So. Wyoming on I-80 with a 50 mph frontal cross wind and major truck
traffic. I was towing with the shorter Durango, but was constantly
push-pulled by trucks across the entire state. I wished I had driven the
Chevy, but made it with some effort when all the other 'square sided'
RV's were pulled over (Thanks to a/s' slippery shape). My Durango's MPG
dropped to 8 MPG, when 10-11 is normal towing. The Chevy would have
delivered probably 9-10 mpg, with 11 normal towing.
So, save your L-R, and go with an American Made P/Up. Just so you don't
think I'm anti import, my regular car is a Volvo, which I love. But when
I tow, I want reliable American steel and muscle under my seat.
Randy Unter
'66 Overlander
Denver