[VAC] Accumulator Tanks

Hi,

I'm working on the plumbing and electrical systems in my '64
Globetrotter.

I noticed when towing the trailer home that the water didn't work.  I
couldn't find the master cutoff valve from the main tank, either.
Today, I discovered that there was no cutoff valve between the main tank
and the pump.  The pump will make noise, but no water will come out of
it.  I have also discoverd that there is water going to the pump.  Thus,
I conclude that the pump is not functional.  My personal policy on parts
in that price range is that if I didn't put it in, and it fails, then I
replace it.  If I put it in and it fails, I'll think about rebuilding
it.  So, I'm buying a new pump.  When I looked at pumps in the West
Marine catalog, they recommended an accumulator tank to reduce pump
cycles.  I wonder if any of you have any wisdom to share on this topic.
The concept makes so much sense that I woudln't hesitate to do it except
that it takes up space.  I have to get a charger , solar controller (Sun
Saver 6), inverter, automatic transfer switch, two optima batteries, and
a toilette to fit in the rear compartment, so space is definitely at a
premium.

Thanks for any input you can provide,