[VAC] Re: Interior modifications

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Interior modifications
Well, this is like discussing religion, no-one agrees, and everyone else
is wrong ;>)

I equate it to a little bit of history.

In the 1920's and early 1930's, big ornate radio consoles were made by
the tens of thousands. Post WWII brought about shrinking of radio size
and improvement of the reception & operation.  By the thousands the
console radios were made into linen cabinets, spice racks, or had their
workings modified or replaced.  Nobody thought otherwise - there were
"plenty", and these appliances were "outdated". Today a Sparton Equisone
or Zenith Robot-dial can fetch about $600 to $900, but one without the
original innards can be had for $100.

Same can apply to Airstreams. There are plenty, but as each year passes,
more and more bite the dust through neglect and "modifications". Let's
face it, it is the old-time quality and period looks that attract people
to vintage Airstreams rather than a new trailer or another brand/type.

I have been following Airstream sales closely for 2 years now for the
website, and notice that a vintage unit in original and undamaged
condition will generate quick activity and a sale.  As many of you know,
we are looking for a 1950's Safari. We've come across the trail of 5 in
the  last few months.  3 were in fairly original condition with few mods
- and each had been snapped up almost immediately.  The other 2 were
still for sale for months (one still is).

But you say your '60's or '70's trailer is not in that category?  No one
will care if it is original?  "There are 100's of these trailers", and
so on. That's what the owners of those old radios or the '50's Safari's
thought, too.  For whatever reason that we who lived through the era's
can't explain, the 1960 & 1970 interiors will be found fascinating,
too.

That doesn't mean that the internals can't be improved, or
additions/modifications can't be made using period materials &
methods. Shoot, each Airstream was custom in it's own way.  For those
who just have to have a modern or super-custom interior, there are many
stripped out or heavily modified trailers out there, just ready for such
a make-over.  And they are cheaper too.  That should be a hint right
there.

Later,
RJ
VintageAirstream.com