[VAC] Furnace and A/C

I'm looking to solve a mystery.  In my newly acquired '75 Tradewind, there are two thermostats.  One is located on the wall between the rear bath and bedroom, (Suburban) and another is located in the front near the galley.  I'm assuming the Suburban thermostat operates the furnace, but what is the front thermostat used for?  Also, if I were to replace the Suburban thermostat because switch won't stay on desired temp and seems to be worn out, would any household thermostat work, or do I need to replace this with a like unit?

Robert