[VAC] Re: Why Car & Trailer Battery to Univolt?

Joy,
 You can get the diode isolator from any RV place. I used what looks
like a Ford-style starter relay ("solenoid") that's rated for continous
duty and powered from the ACC line. The advantage of a relay is that
there's no voltage drop. The diode isolators usually place a diode in
series with the charge line to the trailer AND in the charge line to the
vehicle battery. Although I've never seen any comments on this
configuration, it seems to me that it would HAVE to affect the charging
system on the vehicle because of the slight voltage drop of the diodes.
It's not much (a couple of tenths of a volt), but it would be enough to
affect the voltage regulator, IMO.

                                             <<Jim>>