[VAC] Re: insulation - heaters - cold climates

Gerald,

I noticed only a few areas where mice tried to chew/claw their way through
the foam without success.  Those nasty bees that seem to be able to chew
through steel did make some tunnels and seemed to actually dissolve the
polyurethane?  I totally agree that where there is a chance of exposure to
vermin that solid foam is superior to fiber glass bats. Mice and rats will
chew through encased bats!

The label of the "Great Stuff" says it can be removed before it cures with
typical solvents.  However, once it cures on the skin it must WEAR off.  The
label continues that contact with the skin isn't toxic, just unpleasant*?
*My word.

I'm OK with the walls as I have no intention of removing the entire interior
skin as Healthy-Homes does in their renovations.

> The old foamed in place foams that were banned used or produced
> formaldehyde which is an allergen to a significant fraction of the

Formaldehyde is much more than an allergen.  It causes cloudiness of the
lens of the eye much like cataracts.  As you know, formaldehyde is widely
used
for stabilizing tissue for laboratory examination and laboratory workers are
always at risk.  Blindness is a bit more than an allergy. :)

> I've not tried a latex foam, they seem hard to find and are expensive...

The latex foam is all that's available in California due to environmental
regulations.  I tried it for packaging and found that it takes years for the
latex to cure.  Yeah, it expands to fill the voids, but touch it and the
foam is history!  Both latex and polyurethane foams are on the Lowe's shelf
where I shop.  I'd never consider the latex foam for any insulation project.
I found the polyurethane foam great for packaging large fragile parts where
the peanut styrofoam wouldn't quite do the job.

I noticed that the areas of the frame covered with the polyurethane foam
were protected from corrosion much like they were painted with
anti-corrosion paint.  It must also prevent water entry through the floor
much like the vapor barrier on home fiber glass bat insulation.

Your posts are great,  keep them coming.

                                                    Joy