[VAC] Re: 39' Of Aluminum

> Great photo.  How did it tow?

It towed fine when we weren't being passed by tractor trailers going
30-40 MPH faster than us.  The weight (2250 dry) considerably less than
the max towing limit (7000lbs) of the vehicle (1993 Land Rover Defender
110).  The Land Rover weighs 4800lbs, and I think that the rear swinging
caused by the passers would have a smaller effect on a heavier or longer
vehicle (the number 110 is for its 110-inch wheel base).  Braking was
fine and the hills on I5 between Olympia and the SF Bay area didn't
cause us to become unsafely slow.

> Can't help but notice the trailer's up-angle (old submarine terminology).

It's slightly exagerated in that photo due to the lay of the land, but
it is too much.

> You are probably planning to get a dropped shank hitch head welded up or an
> adjustable bolt-up hitch head so you can get the trailer level.  It will be
> unstable towing as the photo indicates because you will most likely have
> inadequate hitch weight.

In fact, I just sat down to do some web searching to see if I can find a
more-suitable hitch.  That was the only load-distributing hitch
available for sale in Sequim, WA the day I bought the trailer.  I didn't
buy one for the trip up since I wasn't sure how low it needed to be and
(incorrectly) thought I could solve that problem at one of the two RV
parts stores in Sequim.